Search This Blog

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Green Smoothies...good or not good...?

Green Smoothies are all the rage these days.
And being a gardener, I am all for fresh and healthy.
And I am by habit  and nature somewhat of an experimenter (as you will, no doubt quickly observe if you follow this blog long).   I am not however for healthy at all costs....  For example, "healthy but tastes terrible or has a bitter, fibrous texture" does not suit me at all.  So for the sake of brevity, after many recipes for green smoothies tried, let me share with you the ONLY one I can recommend without reservation:

  Becky's favorite green Smoothie

Spinach leafs washed and loosely packed, 2-4 cups 
Fresh Pineapple, 1 slice including the core, approximately 1 inch thick (although I have used canned with fine results)
One orange,with orange skin removed,  (I leave the white under skin on).  Quarter the orange.
1/2 a banana peeled
1/4 inch slice of lime, peel and all.  This is NOT optional.  Somehow the lime cuts the bitterness of the spinach and while the banana, orange and pineapple definitely provide enough sweetness, the lime makes this smoothie rise, from tolerable to DELICIOUS.  I have fantastic results with even a slice of a tiny key lime added.
1/2-1 tsp vanilla
4 ice cubes

Blend all together (having a Vita Mix blender makes this a breeze but I'll blog about that later)...enjoy.

I'm pretty sure you will like it;  even my picky teenagers liked this one, once they got past the beautiful  green color.

HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH!

3 comments:

  1. As one of your picky kids, I can attest to its deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, sounds good but do you remember the experiment we did many many years ago with "Wheat Grass" juice? It would turn your mouth including your teeth emerald green, and in it's purest state undiluted practically permanently curl your tongue. Does your's have any of those memorable effects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to say dad, but this one is not nearly so memorable as that one.....that is to say, this one is actually GOOD! :). And YES, I will never forget those wheat grass experiments, thus my hesitation with any green juices I think... Love you!

      Delete